Tuesday, February 26, 2013

On thin ice

I'm not actually on thin ice at all, either literally or figuratively.  Everything is going extremely well.

It's the title of this funny Youtube video clip of a crazy, hunky, exuberant Norwegian swilling vodka, stripping off most of his clothes and going ice swimming while wearing his skates.  You MUST watch it!!

I'm not a fan of ice swimming although I've done it a few times.  I don't know which is worse, the brain freeze or the heart attack waiting to happen when you plunge in to the icy water.

Also check out this video, of him using a chain saw after drinking vodka.  While this isn't a recommended practice, his videos show the sheer pleasure to be had in skating on beautiful, natural lake ice.... something I've done many times in my life. 

The remaining pictures were taken on me on the ice in front of my house.   Right now, the ice is 1 - 2 feet thick, perfectly safe to drive a truck on, let alone walk on it.   But sadly, skating is not possible because it's snow-covered and full of surface cracks.

DIVORCE UPDATE:
I had my final meeting (!) with my divorce lawyer to sign off on various documents before the court assigns the case to a judge later this week;  my wife had already signed everything she needed go sign.

My lawyer commented yet again on what a pleasure it was to deal with a "mature, sensible" divorcing couple who managed to achieve such a high level of agreement;  a rarity in her practice.   She wished that other couples could see how tremendously damaging an adversarial divorce is to the children involved.

She also said:  "It's just great to see someone who is so happy.  I hardly ever see that here." :-)

Because ours is an uncomplicated, uncontested divorce with no child custody issues, they call it a "desktop divorce."  It will not be conducted in open court.  In fact, neither my wife, myself nor my lawyer will be there;  the judge will simply sign off the documents in his office which might happen in 2 - 3 weeks depending on his / her workload.

17 comments:

  1. That's great news.
    Zoom. Zoom. Zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your front yard looks great. I'd love to hang out there, provided there's a nice fire in the house to huddle by after. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my home is in a spectacular setting; one in a million! I do have a natural gas fireplace which is very cozy.

      Delete
  3. That's odd... I see you kneeling in that pic, but don't see me standing in front of you. Is the camera broken?

    I'm very happy things are going so smoothly now in these final weeks of your divorce. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Cubby, you WISH you were standing on front of me..

      Delete
    2. I think we both wish it.
      -Cubby

      Delete
  4. YAYZ on the divorce and BRRRRR on the snow pix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweetie! Actually, this is the best part of winter. The sun has some warmth to it and the temperatures are quite mild.

      Delete
  5. No one really likes cold water, but sometimes, you just have to run into the sea, in the middle of February. Its refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! But I find that the older I get, the less enthusiastic I am about swimming in freezing cold water.

      Delete
  6. The older I get, the more I realize how much my internal thermostat has changed itself -- I used not to be bothered by the cold but now I dress in layers and feel the cold (and tolerate the heat) much more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you can get married again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to, Jeffrey, eventually! And you and your husband are fantastic role models for me to emulate!

      But after 21 years of marriage, about half of that time spent quite unhappily, I need a long period of time to recover, lick my wounds and to savour my singlehood.

      And then, I'd have to find "Mr. Right," or he would have to find me. Who knows how long all of this will take? Not I and in fact, I have no agenda but to enjoy my present situation.

      Delete
  8. When wife #1 and I divorced it was so amicable we used the same lawyer! Divorce doesn't (and shouldn't) have to be so mean-spirited and messy. Bravo to you two!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks cold!! Beer. congrats on the divorce!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you're thinking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...