Sunday, August 28, 2011

80's Short Shorts


The work of packing / fixing / moving stuff to storage continues.  I'm constantly coming across interesting things which haven't seen the light of day in many years.

Check out these mid-80s running shorts which I bought when I was about 24.   Abstract pattern, fluorescent colours, revealing split sides and made of some flimsy material.  Unbelievably, I used to go out  running  in public wearing these... near the west end of Vancouver* and through Stanley Park. 
* This was near Vancouver's gay village, although I didn't know it at the time.  I was temporarily living in my company's apartment nearby.

At the time I was very lean, lanky and lightly muscled.  Thirty pounds lighter than I am now with masses of blonde hair.   I can't help but think that I must have been constantly checked out by men as I ran by, pork sword flopping this way and that.  I was so oblivious to all things gay  (barely even knowing that gay people existed) that I would never have noticed if any guy had checked me out
.  
If I saw a handsome young man wearing these shorts today, I would walk after him just to get a closer look.  (Lately, I've been doing this a lot.... taking that extra trip down a grocery story aisle to check out some delicious hottie.)  I love the look of a jiggling cock in flimsy shorts. 

Back in the 80s, short shorts like these were considered cool and sexy. Now, one would be subject to ridicule if these were worn in public. Sure enough, I tried them on and my son walked by and said, with scorn, "Nice shorts, Dad!"

11 comments:

  1. anne marie in phillyAugust 28, 2011 at 6:14 AM

    WOO-HOO! but, sadly, your son is correct; you would be the object of scorn today. now I can see richard simmons wearing these... :-b

    have a good day, buddybear! PS - all is well in philly; flooding is a major concern, but my house is still standing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me tell you three things: 1. You make those shorts interesting... Nice legs. 2. Love the blog! I've become addicted and read it on my bb at work all the time. 3. You might just inspire me to open my blog again... Hot stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great legs.... something about the well defined and proportioned calf and thigh of a mature man. Yum (but you already knew that).

    I have been dismayed by the current fashion for baggy, knee length cargo shorts. At that length, why bother? Just put on pants.

    Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Just stumbled over your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    We can be thankful all styles recycle!
    And this summer I have seenm close to a dozen young men jogging in shorts like those, solid colors but still wonderfully short. Plus, I gawked at a young guy wearing very short safari shorts! What a package ;-)

    I'm looking forward to more reading; and some catch-up! ;-)

    A3rdeyeblind@yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. anne marie: Oh, the pain! .... it's like being stabbed in the heart!! I'm being compared to Richard Simmons? Glad you hear you are surviving Irene ...thanks for the update!

    Will: I agree completely about "shorts" far below the knee... what's the point? Thanks for the compliments about my legs. They are rather flabby now.

    When I'm at the end of training for a marathon, I think they're my best feature! At that time, I just love the feeling of my leg muscles going boing, boing, boing as I walk along.

    Anonymous: thanks for commenting! Very exciting! I get many dozens (if not hundreds) of people reading the blog and I often wish they would comment so I could get to know them. That is good news indeed, young men jogging around in 'short shorts!' Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NC: Sorry, I missed commenting on you comment! Thanks for reading my blog. I'm trying to document my most incredible journey in "real time." What a soap opera it is, except it is my own real life!! It's so exciting! I look forward to re-reading my blog in ten years or so when I am cuddled up with my sexy, romantic husband.

    I wonder what was the name of your blog? I wonder if I was a follower?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel free to stop by.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lord love us; I still have a pair of these
    I see an elderly man at the gym who still wears them. It is a bit unsettling to see among all the knee length garments worn by today's youth.
    I am all for bringing them back - including the codpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And i thought that i was bad wearing a pair of shorts from c. 1995!!! I still have running tights from 1995 that I run in on a cold winter's day!

    Your legs look good. I'd chase after you in those shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, WranglerMan! I bet you look pretty darn hot in those 90s tights of yours! I wouldn't wear these shorts out in public, however.

    ReplyDelete
  11. anne marie in phillyAugust 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM

    be quiet, dr. smith!

    no, sweetie, I am not comparing you to richard simmons; he is a freak and you are normal. richard would wear those shorts in public and disgrace himself. you have common sense not to do that.

    "I just love the feeling of my leg muscles going boing, boing, boing as I walk along." - I know something else that goes boing, boing, boing as you walk along (licks her lips and smiles slyly)...

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you're thinking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...