Friday, July 8, 2011

I'm Leavin' on a Jet Propeller Plane...

Men with Appeal

Shout-out:  Please visit the new blog Rigid Flexibility written by Mike, a father of three who lives on beautiful Vancouver Island. Mike is a very sweet guy and an online friend who first e-mailed me to say that our stories are very similar.  He is about four years ahead of me on his journey. 

For my own selfish reasons, I want Mike to continue sharing his remarkable, inspirational story.  He is living proof that for us married gay fathers, life does indeed get better after coming out.  When you visit Mike's blog, please leave a comment and consider adding his blog to your blogroll. 

In his post Gay Adolescence,  Mike talks about when he, at the age of 48, came out to his wife of nineteen years.  "Coming-out .... was the single-most liberating experience of my life! Suddenly I was out of prison and I wanted to shout the news from the mountain top!"  With that one sentence I was hooked;  Mike expressed exactly the same feelings of exuberance, euphoria and relief which I experienced on my coming-out six months ago.

I strongly urge every closeted, married father with children to read his story.  In particular, read about how wholly supportive his sons have been towards their gay dad.  Check out the posts Father's Day, Father's Day 2 and especially Camping. Fantastic!


In two hours, I will be winging my way to my Big (City) Gay Adventure.     This means taking a 20-seat propeller plane and having two other stops along the route.  I have been increasingly excited all week, but now, I am very a bit apprehensive for two reasons:
  1. The week-long job training I am attending will be very intensive and highly technical.  I'm afraid that I will be in way over my head regarding the subject matter and the qualifications of my fellow attendees.  My fellow attendees are from all over Canada and from overseas as well.  On the plus side, I am pretty smart and an excellent student.  My motto will be:   "It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."
  2. I'm a little worried about my solo gay adventure in the big city.  I've lead an extremely sheltered life regarding all things gay. However, I strongly feel that I owe it to myself to push ahead with my gay journey and to start to explore the gay opportunities in the big city.  Have courage!!  I'm pretty cautious and a a careful planner (and will remain so), so it is the unknown which is causing the apprehension.  I will only do something I am comfortable with and  if I believed it is right for me.
While I am away, I will not spend too much time online as I want to experience as many real-life "moments" as possible.  I plan to do a short post every second day,  especially if I have something really exciting to share. 
Men with Appeal

8 comments:

  1. Why do you think you'll be "solo" in the big city? Don't they have the interweb thingy there?

    I'll be standing by you, and my other blogger buddies too. Just turn us on man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, and make sure you share the details :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a ball!... and more! :)~
    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! I appreciate all the support and encouragement you've given me.

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt." This is my motto as well.

    Have a good flight Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for pointing us to Mike D's blog. As you've said, he and his story are a real inspiration. I'm glad he's decided to join the blogging community.

    Enjoy your big adventure! We're all looking forward to reading about the sexy details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anne marie in phillyJuly 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM

    "men with appeal" are appealing to me; just wish they were a-peeling off their clothes (wink wink)!

    have a great trip, buddybear!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you're thinking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...